Apparently Tom Hardy, star of Mad Max Fury Road and, ahem, Star Trek XI: Whatever The Poop, has been rumored to appear in Star Wars Episode VIII for a while. Now we have double confirmation that this is in fact a thing. Read on for more...
Firstly MakingStarWars.net confirmed the rumour and included a little detail about the scene, which amounts to little more than an extended cameo, those details a re below. Potential spoilers follow:
- Tom Hardy plays a First Order stormtrooper.
- Said stormtrooper glimpses FN-2187 on a secret mission but doesn’t realize it.
- The “incognito” FN-2187 is surprised when the stormtrooper walks up behind him and slaps him on the ass.
- FN-2187 turns around and believes he’s dead. He’s surely going to be captured.
- The stormtrooper is elated to see his old friend from back during their First Order academy days.
- The stormtrooper congratulates FN-2187 on his promotion to Resistance infiltrator and spy.
- FN-2187 is free to go about his business to his amazement.
Personally I hope the details are wrong because I do not like the sound of this cameo. It seems a little too on the nose if you ask me, and out of place in a Star Wars movie. Having said that I haven't seen the scene yet, so maybe Rian Johnson can pull it off. Let me know what you think in the comments below.
The second confirmation came in the form of a tweet, or more specifically a retweet from Princess Leia herself, Carrie Fisher, who retweeted the Daily Express. See the tweet below. The article seems to echo some of the details from the MakingStarWars.net report, so there must be some truth to the matter. Oh dear.
I love Tom Hardy. I think he is incredibly talented and one of the most exciting actors of his generation, and hearing that he might be appearing in a Star Wars movie should be huge, thrilling news, but to waste it on a throwaway cameo like this seems to be a tragic, short sighted novelty. I hope there is some misinformation in here and we will see Tom appear in a larger role in another Star Wars project at some point in the future. But that seems unlikely...
Thank you for reading,